We are now nearly two weeks into the actual work of renovating the Church House!
After the Town issued our Building Permit on February 6, we moved quickly to get the project underway on February 21, 10 days earlier than we planned. The first task is interior demolition-removing carpets, ceilings, insulation, wiring, kitchen equipment, etc.
When you come to Church, you won't be able to see what is going on inside the Church House, but there are big and visible changes in how we enter and leave the Sanctuary and the parking lot:
- All the Church House doors are locked, the inside (except the children's classroom area) is now a construction zone, and no one except construction workers should be entering;
- Construction fencing is closing off part of our parking lot, there are large dumpsters in place, and construction equipment and materials are being staged;
- The only access to the Sanctuary is through the double red doors facing the driveway and through the double red Bell Tower doors (which will be in regular use for the first time in years). The current passageway from the Sanctuary is an emergency exit only, and access is to the Church House is blocked.
- The Bell Tower doors are accessible via a ramp and a temporary pathway around the end of the Sanctuary building. The same pathway is the only access to the Columbarium.
- Restrooms are located off the Bell Tower room and on the first floor of Shields House.
- We are using the children's classroom area until June, but that area is accessible only from the outside. This area contains a family restroom. Access to the construction zone is blocked.
To all who helped complete the move out of the Church House on schedule, and the highly successful Tag Sale offering of unneeded 'stuff' to our congregation, mission partners and local not-for-profits, a huge THANK YOU!
We have agreed with our Construction Manager that the maximum price for the construction work will be $3.2M. When we include our costs for the design team and equipment and furnishings we plan to buy, as well as costs we have already incurred for the Sanctuary and Shields House, our total project budget remains at $4.8M. We anticipate Capital Campaign receipts of $4.9M, of which $4.3M has already been collected. We are intensely grateful to all who have contributed!
To cover our costs, we still need the support of those who have made commitments, and additional commitments are welcome.
We plan to use all available communications channels to keep you informed of project progress and of changes in the way you use the parking lot and access the Sanctuary. We will use lectern moments, eblasts, Fountain articles, bulletin boards and our website to keep you updated. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask any of us on the Steering Committee.
The Steering Committee: Chris Bennett, Paul Gervais, Randy Glendinning, Rhonda Hill, Ruth Kirkpatrick, Dave Lussier, David Montieth, John Moscone, Mike Pommer, Bob Yates, Reverend Charlie, Reverend Karen
A meeting. was held today, Wednesday, 2/22/2017, with the Design Team and Construction Manager to review process and procedures and communication moving forward between these groups. Review of Submittal Logs and Initial Schedule were included in the conversations. Demolition is proceeding and slightly ahead of schedule. Temporary doors and walls are in place. Building Access will now be limited and discourage by the Construction Manager After the Concert on Sunday, all material remaining in Choir Room must be removed Dust Control systems will be put in place this week With the exception of the Temporary Facilities being installed this week, little or no "Exterior" activity will take place this week and next week. "2-3 Week Look Ahead Schedule" will be developed over the next few days Bob Yates & I will be on site Thursday morning 8:30 AM to review phone line removal. John Moscone, Site Contractor, Plumber and I will review Shield House Sewer on Friday 2/24/17 at 9:30 AM HAFSCO has removed the Kitchen Equipment Temporary fence, pathways and ramps will be in place by end of day Friday 2/24/17. Modifications and adjustments, if required, will be reviewed on Monday 2/27/16. Signage review may be needed. Need to confirm that Church's Insurance will accept NFPA - 13 Fire Protection Design in lieu Factory Mutual requirements. NFPA 13 is proposed and is the norm, Factory Mutual can be more stringent. Inspection and Testing Firm to be engaged, $8K Budget is allotted for this services
Demolition of ceilings and insulation started Tuesday, 2/21/17. Fencing work is scheduled to start on Thursday 2/23/17, and will be complete by Friday. The "temporary fenced in" work area will incorporate the single exterior Sanctuary door. So this door will remain closed for a good duration of the project. The new temporary access ramp at the Bell Tower entry will be installed by Friday, 2/24/16 The Temporary Doors in the interior ramped Hallway and at the CCK will be doors key to the existing Master Key system. So they will be locked, but can be opened for Thursday evening Choir rehearsal and for access for Sunday's Concert. The demolition in the Lobby Area and in the Choir Room will commence on Monday 2/27/13. All remaining items in those are shall be removed, including the Robes by Sunday evening 2/26/17. More later.